Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog got blood work, he's not eating barley drinking very

Customer Question

my dog got blood work, he's not eating barley drinking very week been this way 2 weeks, has alkaline phos level of 2,000
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. What is the age and breed of your dog, please? Is he neutered? Are there symptoms other than anorexia? Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is an eglish bulldog his weight has dropped 12 lbs down to 61 lbs in 2 weeks he is 6 years old and yes we has signs of anerexia doesnt eat more then a handful of food that has to be hand fed to him drinks water but has thrown it up throws up once every other day has been this way for 2 weeks very lazy

Thank you for the additional information. Anorexia, vomiting, and loss of 16% of his body weight in 2 weeks are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. I need to review his test results - not only for what was tested but also for tests that should have been performed but weren't.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alkaline phosphate 2,008
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The only significant abnormalities in the complete blood count (normal) and serum biochemistries are the alkaline phosphatase of 2008 and the total bilirubin of 0.5. These tests suggest a liver disorder or a disorder elsewhere (gall bladder, small intestine, e.g.) that is affecting the liver but doesn't tell us why this is occurring. The next diagnostic of choice is an ultrasound of his abdomen. If that can't be performed, X-rays of his abdomen should be taken. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long can he go on this way? my only concern is with back and forth visits and more test days go on where he is not eating i dont want him to pass away before we get the full test how long can he maintain being lazy and not eating normal with these levels?

Those levels don't reflect the severity of his disorder. The alkaline phosphatase is too nonspecific of an enzyme on which to base anything. You're correct, however; unless we force-feed a patient such as he, it doesn't matter what's wrong with him. The sooner imaging can be done, the sooner you'll have an answer about how to proceed.