Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is a 15 month old, 150ish pound South African

Customer Question

Hello, my dog is a 15 month old, 150ish pound South African boerboel (type of mastiff) with subaeortic stenosis and mitral valve displaysia. He is currently taking 25mg of Atenolol twice daily.
He has very painful though not itchy hive-like bumps along his spine from the base of his neck to his tail that spread to his sides. He has no bumps on his face, legs or underside. He feels as if he has a fever and is moving very gingerly. His activity level is much lower than normal and his appetite is decreased quite a bit however, he is still interested in treats but very little interest in his normal food. He cries of you touch the bumps.
Could you offer some insight on the possible cause of this problem? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. "Lumps" that appear so quickly are most often hives or wheals; however, these urticarial reactions are usually more pruritic (itchy) than painful. Can you upload a photo of his skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Urticarial reactions can be treated with an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at 50 mg for Kitty (!). A corticosteroid such as prednisone would be more effective but possibly contraindicated considering his heart condition. His vet should be consulted before initiating a steroid.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kitty. How is everything going?