Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

60 pound lab just ate 7 birth control pills. Will she be ok?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
much for speedy answers. A waste of $20.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone call isn't necessary. Just wanted to find out if the 60 pound female lab that ate 7 progesterine birth control pills will be fine or should I induce vomiting by means of hydrogen peroxide. Thanks

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

No problem with the phone call, I have worked out an answer for you below, this should be all the information you need ...

Good news, birth control pills are almost always non toxic to dogs. This incident is very unlikely to affect a larger dog like yours and you most likely will not see any symptoms. I say this because in the past I have dealt with dogs who have sometimes swallowed quite a number of contraceptive pills and they were all fine. This is a fairly common scenario as the pills are often left lying around where the dogs can find them.

Further, such hormone preparations are often used therapeutically in the dog under certain circumstances so these pills are not toxic to dogs as such.

Having said all this it would be wise to monitor your dog for any strange symptoms and contact your vet without delay if such do occur, this would be very unlikely though.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Brandy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the birth control pills incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.