Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I'm adri and need some advice I am breading English bulldogs

Customer Question

Hi I'm adri and need some advice I am breading English bulldogs and have heard from another breader that you can use betadine douche on your female's is it safe.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Can I ask why you are thinking of using a douch on your dog?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am concerned because we have recently had a female that had an Infection which just didn't really go away. They did the insimunation and we got only one lovely pup from her now they say it could be due to the infection . and answers precaution I'm am considering the douche as Infect they helped with the other breeder who had the same problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We also had 3 other females giving us only one or non pups for the last year and he says it's due to the infection but the vet never mentioned anything about an infection with the last mentioned females. It is something I need to rectify before breeding again.

JaCustomer,

If a dog has an infection then you shouldn't breed her until the infection is totally gone. Your vet can do cultures to determine when the infection is cleared. However, if the bacteria was introduced during the artificial insemination, then better sterilization and handling procedures need to be instituted during both the sperm harvesting and the actual AI. Douch of any kind can change the vaginal and uterine environment and possibly have an adverse effect on a potential litter. Uterine infections need to be treated with antibiotics early on in the infection.

If you are getting small litters from your females, then there are various things to check. First off, many dogs will reabsorb pups if under stress, sick, vaccinated and even dewormed, so you need to be sure your females are not under stress. You also need to not vaccinate them or deworm them if possible during the pregnancy. Also if females are interacting, the alpha female may be placing undue stress on the newly pregnant female leading to smaller litters. Keep these things in mind.

In addition, you need to be sure you are inseminating your female at the right time. If you are inseminating at home, then I would suggest at the vet's office and having testing done to ensure she is at the most fertile period of the heat cycle. In addition, you will want to have the male's sperm evaluated as well for mobility. All of these play a factor in how many pups are produced.

So I would first take your next female and male into the vet and have them evaluated. I would not douche them. Now you can use antibacterial wipes to keep the folds of the vulva clean and cut down on bacteria.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Hi Adri,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?