Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog has walking pneumonia -1/2 years. Vets took all

Customer Question

My dog has walking pneumonia for 1-1/2 years. Vets took all tests. He's on antibiotics 15 days no improvement. What say you?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Shem has been feeling ill. I think I'm going to need more information in order to answer your question fully.

Typically when we talk about "pneumonia" we are referring to a bacterial infection in the lungs. It's highly unlikely that any dog could carry one particular bacterial infection for 1.5 years and not either get better or succumb. Could you please tell me what symptoms you're seeing, what tests have been done and the results if you have them, and any tests or treatments that you've opted not to do up until this point? What treatments seem to have worked the best so far?

In general - if I have a pet who is coughing and not responding to my initial symptomatic care, I take chest X-rays and some blood work to check for heart worm disease. Cough can be a sign of cardiac or respiratory disease, so sometimes we will also need to do an ultrasound of the heart and some airway sampling like a transtracheal wash to obtain fluid for culture and microcopic examination. These things typically give us an answer on what's causing the issue.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Elaine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shem. How is everything going?
Doc Sara