Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
25161683

I believe a rat has been touching my dog's food and is the

Customer Question

I believe a rat has been touching my dog's food and is the reason he has had diarrhea the past few days. Last night we finally caught and killed the rat but before we could I think my dog just bit/maimed/drew blood from the rat last night. All his shots are up to date and rabies shot is only due in 2017. Is there anything I should worry about, something I should do in regards ***** ***** blood and/or wet stool? Or just wait it out now that the problem source is gone?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Any blood in the diarrhea?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. PeterI feel I have gotten the answer I needed from my vet .without the cost of a doctors visit and am afraid the response here came later than I'd hoped.I was recommended to wait a couple days after the rat has gone (meaning the suspected source is gone) and see if his stool improves. If he vomits after rat is gone to bring him in immediately, otherwise as long as rabies etc shots are up to date and especially if rat did not bit dog (he did not bite dog) dog should be fine. If you do have any other suggestions I'm open, but I believe the issue has been resolved...1-no blood in his diarrhea (his stool has since returned to normal)2- My guess is about 90lbs (same as previous check up) if not more, his appetite has returned and the symptoms did not lead to significant loss of weight or muscle mass)3-no other conditions. (He does however have a fatty tumor on his left chest area near armpit, non-malignant per tests)4-no other symptoms and he has returned to eating his food comfortably.In short I may have overracted to the rat eating from his bowl and my dog bitting a rat not knowing if there were possible consequences regardless of shots being in order.