Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog overheated yesterday. he seamed to have been having

Customer Question

my dog overheated yesterday. he seamed to have been having cramping in his hind legs, difficulty laying down. we cooled him off, my friend crushed part of an asprin and fed it to him with some ham. later once we were home he urinated and it was black, this morning the wife took him out and said it was still very dark. he is pretty tired today but not showing discomfort.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Heat stroke causes multisystemic pathology. The pulmonary, cardiovascular, hematologic, renal, and neurologic systems can all be affected. "Black urine" suggests the excretion of urine concentrated with damaged red blood cells, methemoglobin (damaged hemoglobin), and microemboli (blood clots). Kidneys will be injured by direct thermal injury and the passage of those cells and blood clots and so it would be prudent to have diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests performed even if he appears to be making a full recovery. If renal damage is confirmed, I would expect him to be diuresed (given IV fluids at a high rate of administration) in order to promote excessive urine formation and removal of offending material from his urinary tract.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?