Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I found ticks on my dog a little over a week ago. We

Customer Question

I found ticks on my dog a little over a week ago. We shampooed her and removed the ticks. We also washed all the bedding and sprayed the whole house and the linens. Now I noticed that my dog has little bumps where the ticks had been and she is itching it. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Unfortunately to see these bumps this long after the ticks were removes are a sign of focal abscesses where they bit. This is not uncommon because ticks have notoriously dirty bacterial filled mouths. As well, if the utmost care isn't taken, then removal of ticks will often leave the mouthparts behind (which cause tissue irritation on top of infection).

With this all in mind and in regards ***** ***** to approach this, we often need to treat these dogs with a short course of antibiotics to just clear the infection. Otherwise, if they are very small, you can try bathing them 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine, salt water) and then apply an OTC antibiotic cream to them. And if she is scratching, then we may need to place a tshirt or boxer shorts on her to protect the areas from further self-trauma. Of course, if you choose to the latter and don't see these settling within a few days, then we'd want her vet to check them so that systemic/oral antibiotics can be used to settle these as quickly as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jessica,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jessica Lynn Meave. How is everything going?
nekovet