Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Boxer didn't eat yesterday and just follows me around. No

Customer Question

Boxer didn't eat yesterday and just follows me around. No appetite and is panting a lot right now. very lathargis.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lathargic. passing gas, no appetite. stays close to me. tries to rest but can't
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was the new diet something she was weaned onto or was it a quick change?

Any retching, gagging, drooling, grass eating, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a quick change, she is use to chicken from pedigree, we thought we would try purina after watching a commercial on tv. her gums are pink slightly sticky. when i press her stomach, she doesn't seem to show discomfort. no diarrhea. she seem a little dry mouth
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on your history, it does sound like we are facing GI upset with nausea. If the diet change was quick, this could be our trigger here. Quick diet changes can trigger an imbalance in the GI microflora (good gut bacteria), lead to increased gas within the GI, which then induces nausea and gut discomfort. Both of which can put dogs off their food and cause agitation.

Now in regards ***** ***** to soothe her stomach, there are a few options you can use. To start, you can treat Lilly with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating withone, but the two I tend to use are: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption)and of course you want to double check with your vet before use she has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If she appears more settled after that, then you can start her on a light diet for the next few days. Examples of this would be cooked rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk),cottage cheese, meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used(ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The aim of these light diets is that they are easy on the compromised GI and tend to be better tolerated.

Finally, since you reported gas and gut gurgling, I would note that you can also consider giving her a low dose of Gas-X (simethicone). This can be given to your lass at a dose of 1-2 mg per pound of her body weight up to every 8 hours. As well, since gut microflora imbalance is suspect as the root of our signs, you can also use an OTC dog specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Protexin enterogenic, etc). These can often be purchased at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon.

Overall, while we can see these kinds of signs associated with gut infections, pancreatitis, inflammatory GI disease (ie IBD), or when our dogs eat odd items; in this case it does sound like Lilly's signs are being triggered by the new diet. Therefore, we can use the above at this stage. Of course, if she doesn't settle or you do think she could have eaten something harmful; then we'd want to have her checked by her local vet. Otherwise, once she is settles, you can try the new diet again but make sure to do so slowly.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?
nekovet