Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 11 year old cocker spaniel who has been having

Customer Question

I have a 11 year old cocker spaniel who has been having mucasy stools for about 4 days now. He still is always hungry isn't lethargic us still good normal self. what can it be
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** Usually the mucus in the stool means that there is inflammation in the colon (colitis). Now, there are a few things that can cause colitis. It can be a dietary issue, either something different they ate or dietary sensitivity/allergy; intestinal parasites, stress, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), masses in the colon, fiber responsive diarrhea and liver or pancreatic problems (not as often). In most cases, adding some fiber to the diet helps. A teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin over each meal does the trick. If this doesn't help, or there is some blood in the stool, vomiting or lack of appetite, then your vet needs to examine him and run some tests to rule out some other issues. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gave him pumpkin and seemed ok for about 5 days but loose bowels started again yesterday? Can I give him amoxcillain?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. It sounds more like a fiber responsive type of diarrhea. I wouldn't give any amoxicillin, unless your vet prescribed it. The goal is to re-establish the normal bacteria in the GI tract. Amoxicillin may just kill the good bacteria as well. I would probably prescribe metronidazole instead and get him on a probiotic. This really depends on what the underlying cause is, though. If there is something going on as noted in my previous post, then anything you do may just be a temporary measure. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and where can I get a prescription for metronidazole and what would be his dose? Also what probiotic would x you v recommend and again what dose? Also should I continue the pumpkin in each meal?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

You would have to get a prescription for metronidazole from your vet. Dose would be based on his weight, so I am not sure what he weighs. I have always likes Fortiflora as a probiotic. 1 packet over food daily. You can and should continue to pumpkin with each meal for now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The probiotic can I buy that over the counter? And how much should I give him how often? Maybe that and the pumpkin will help?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The Fortiflora probiotic is over the counter. You can even buy it online at some website. I know Amazon.com has some. You can give 1 packet a day. I would probably use it for 2-4 weeks. You can give the pumpkin at the same time as well. Hope this helps.