Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a 9 month old pitbull and he has been limping on s

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 9 month old pitbull and he has been limping on his right front leg. He still eats the same, still plays the same and has the same energy but he is not trying to put pressure on his leg. When I touch his paw that's when he pulls back and his part of his paw turned from dark to light. What could be wrong with him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with the question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long has this been going on?

Any possibility of injury or trauma at all?

Is the leg turned in at all or anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been going on for 3 days, when he sits down he holds his leg up. I run him sometimes for exercise but not over exert him. His leg is straight not turned in.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

How long do you run him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For 3 to 5 mins
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Sounds to me like your pup may have stepped or jumped wrong and twisted that leg. Of course, without being able to see the dog in person and take an x-ray, it's pretty much impossible to tell if it's a simple sprain or something more serious. In cases of leg injuries in dogs, especially tenacious breeds and/or hunting breeds, I always recommend seeing your regular vet just to be on the safe side.

That being said, until you can get him in to see a vet, I suggest doing your best to keep him quiet. No running around, definately no dog park, just outside on a leash to go potty and then back inside. If he's used to being in a kennel/crate, you can keep him in there in an effort to keep him from jumping up on couches or running up and down stairs.

If he seems especially painful, you can give one child's aspirin, but make sure you give it with some food to avoid stomach upset, and do not give more than one every 8-12 hours and do not give it for longer than 3 days.

If the leg still seems to get more painful, becomes swollen or if he is unable to bear weight on it, I suggest calling your vet or taking a trip the the nearest emergency vet and having them take a peek at it, just to rule out anything more serious than just a little sprain.

I hope this helps

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa