Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 45 lb, 1 yr old English bulldog chewed open and ate small

Customer Question

Hello. My 45 lb, 1 yr old English bulldog chewed open and ate small spongy pieces of his bedding two nights ago. He is eating fine but has been coughing and gagging since. He threw up about 3 small pieces yesterday but it sounds like more is stuck in his throat. Anything I can do to help him cough it up?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee onetoday.

Was it pieces of foam he brought up yesterday?

Is he still able to eat since then? Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any straining to pass feces or black stool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 pieces of foam yesterday w a small amount of thick clear mucus.He's been eating and drinking like normal.His gums are pink and moist.No discomfort when pressing on his belly and stool seems normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now whenever a dog has eaten something non-edible, we do have to tread with care. In Tyson’s case, we do have to be aware that his vomiting foam 2 days after eating the foam material tells us that some was still in the stomach and had failed to be digested or to pass into the intestines. And if there was some, there is a risk there still is some too.

Now just to note, since Tyson is able to eat and keep this down, then there is no foam caught in his throat. Food would push this down into the stomach or he wouldn't be able to keep food down if it were. Instead, his coughing and gagging is likely due to throat irritation and inflammation from having eaten this. So, while we can offer soft foods or give him a spoonful of plain honey as needed to soothe his throat, this is likely to just settle with time.

That aside, we need to focus on the foam in the gut. Since he thankfully has no belly pain or pale gums; then I would advise that we could consider monitoring and supportive care at this stage to see if we can settle his signs. Of course, any signs of restlessness, lethargy, black feces, vomit that is blood stained or coffee ground in appearance, anorexia, belly pain or pale gums; then we'd want to have him examined by his vet +/- an xray to make sure the fluff isn't causing bother.

While we monitor for those, we’d also want to start him on an easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice/pasta/boiled plain potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg, meat baby food(as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled.Furthermore, to push any lingering foam through the GI, plan to add a spoon of canned pumpkin or all bran (a good fiber source) to those small meals. And on top of this, you can also offer cat hairball medication or add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie lactulose, food grade mineral oil, or Miralax) over the next few days to encourage any lurking material to slip through the GI and keep moving along.

If we do this for the next 24-48 hours, we would hope any remaining fluff would pass and he would settle. Of course, if he doesn't settle within that time or we did see any of those worrying signs, then we’d want to have check with his vet. They can assess where the rest of the foam is, whether it can pass, or aid it doing so if it cannot on its own. And if the coughing continues, they can also dispense dog safe anti-inflammatories to reduce that irritation as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )