Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have an old poodle 14. She has not eaten last two days and

Customer Question

I have an old poodle 14. She has not eaten for the last two days and is passing tarry black bloody squishy stools.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your girl is not doing well. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.

Any chance she got in to anything toxic?

What color are her gums ( are they nice and pink or pale)

Any vomiting?

Any previous medical problems?

Any bruising anywhere or pin point red dots on the abdomen, gums in ears

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only if there was anything in the garden.
She has had mammary tumour removed about 6 months ago.
Bothered for years with her ears and her belly is very red. She seems to be very hot lying on cool floors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eating grass
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Black tar like stool is very concerning and really warrants a vet visit especially in a senior dog. This indicates bleeding in the digestive tract most often the upper portion of the intestinal tract.

This can be due to many things which is why a hands on exam is needed. The most common causes would be

* Eating something toxic such as rat poison

* Blockage in the digestive tract due to something she has eaten or a tumor

* Problems with the clotting factors of the blood

* Ulcers in the stomach.

* Complications from heat stroke

If he gums are pale in color then I would get her in to the ER tonight.You mention her stomach is red if this looks like bruising then this too requires immediate care.If they are still pink you can monitor her for the evening and have her seen tomorrow but she does need to be seen.

For tonight you can try Pepcid AC in case this is due to ulcers in the stomach. She can have 1/4 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours.

You can try offering her a small amount of boiled chicken and see if she will eat that but I would not force it.

The following link goes over this in more detail LINK

I am sure you were hoping for an at home treatment and I always try to do that when possible. However with these symptoms and her age at home treatment and waiting would not be in her best interest. If at all possible I would have her seen tonight. I am concerned that if the cause is not found and treatment started with in the next 48 hours her chance of full recovery will be really diminished.

Please keep me posted on how she is doing. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If all of your questions have been answered please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that I am compensate by justanswer for assisting you this evening.Providing a rating does not close the question so you can still come back for follow up and updates at no additional charge.

Candy