How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19120
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dogs ate a bottle of vitamin d caplets there were roughly

Customer Question

my dogs ate a bottle of vitamin d caplets there were roughly 250 caplets at 2000 mg each. I have two dogs but i think the one who ate them weighs 65 lbs
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Vitamin D can be a very serious toxin for dogs, the maximum safe level of vitamin D is said to be 10000 IU per kg of the dog's bodyweight.

2. Here are some numbers ... Your dog weighs 29.5 kg so her toxic dose is 295000 IU or above.

But she did swallow 250 x 2000 mg = 500,000 IU, so unfortunately this is a clear overdose.

3. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the vitamins that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

4. If you do not manage to induce vomiting or have any doubts about the gap between ingestion and inducing vomiting then you should take your dog to an ER vet without delay as a matter of urgency.

5. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers vitamin D toxicity in dogs in depth : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Lab is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the vitamin D ingestion ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.