Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has excessive flatulence and soft yellow stool past

Customer Question

My dog has excessive flatulence and soft yellow stool for the past few days. Is this a symptom of serious illness?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Has he had any new foods or treats?

Has he been in places where other dogs are frequently?

How is he acting otherwise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Recently we started giving him Dentistix. He hasn't been around other dogs. He mostly just lies about where usually he follows me around the house.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

And this started after the Dentistix?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But he hasn't had any in a few days.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Whenever a dog develops changes in their stool, the first thing we think of is if the dog has had a change in their normal diet. Since your dog did start having some Dentastix, I strongly suspect that's the cause of the soft yellow stool and excessive gas.

I know that it's been a couple days since he had one of the treats, but as a general rule, it can take anywhere from 1-4 days for something that a dog eats to make it's way out of the body.

At this point, since he's otherwise acting normal, I think I'd attribute it to the new treats, which means it should clear up with no problems since you haven't given him another one recently.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa