Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 14 yr old dog has had a nodule (maybe 2) in her axillae

Customer Question

My 14 yr old dog has had a nodule (maybe 2) in her axillae region with a "black dot" puncture-looking appearance on the skin. I cleaned off the skin and squeezed the nodule. An enormous amount of dark brown (fecal looking) soft discharge came out. I would say that in all, approximately 2 tablespoons full. What was very interesting was that something poked through that black punctate center. I pulled on it, and a large tangled mess of hair came out (probably 4-6 inches in length) until it seemed to block the opening. My dog didn't appear to be in any pain while I kept expelling more black/brown discharge. What in the world do you think it could be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This sounds like an ingrowing hair follicle also called a follicular cyst, these can be very gross in appearance and can sometimes contain quite a mass of hair and dark toothpaste like goo, but the main thing to get over is that if this is the diagnosis then they are benign and nothing much to worry about long term. You can see one on this video : LINK

2. Despite the video these are best dealt with by your vet but if you can express all the contents and remove the hair inside then a great many of them will not recur, use something like Neosporin afterwards to ensure it does not get affected. However there is the odd follicular cyst that does need minor surgery to prevent recurrence.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Alley. How is everything going?