Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My yellow lab has red eyes where the should be?? She has

Customer Question

My yellow lab has red eyes where the white should be?? She has been swimming in the pond behind our house and it does not seem to be getting better. She is just laying around and that is not her norm as she is only 1 1/2 years old. Any at home suggestions as the vet is closed today?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today.

How long is Finn outside each time?

Any change in breathing pattern?

Is she still eating/drinking normally?

Do you have air conditioning in the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is inside now and ok with breathing. I am just worried that she had this for two days -maybe an allergy? Her sister was swimming in the pond also and not red eyes??
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Allergies are definitely a possibility....especially this time of year when ponds are in bloom.

Something you could do would be to give her some Benadryl....the normal dose is 1-2mg/pound, so if she weighs 75 pounds, she could have between 3-6 of the regular 25mg tablets twice daily.

If you try the Benadryl and her eyes don't look any better by the time your vet opens on tuesday, then you should have them take a peek at her, just in case there's an infection brewing.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My main concern was she was so restless and breathing heavy after being in the heat and playing….now she is better and resting but not much appetite and still red eyes - they are not weeping at all.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

The panting and restlessness after being outside in that kind of temp is very normal...so I'd just limit the amount of time she's outside until things start to cool down a little bit. We don't want her to end up with heat stroke.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mary,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Finn. How is everything going?
Lisa