Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My Maltese has an ear infection (he has lots of allergies).

Customer Question

My Maltese has an ear infection (he has lots of allergies). Vet won't be back in office for 2 days (holiday tomorrow). Any suggestions for home treatment to give him some relief? I have Boric acid and Betadine, but would refer not to use alcohol (he outer ear is really red and he is scratching a lot). There was a suggestion on this site about aspirin, but I don't know what dosage to give. He's 9.5 - 10 lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

Do you still have the tresaderm bottle?

When did he last get Atopica?

Is he on any other medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have bottle & it's been refrigerated.Yesterday on Atopica.1/4 to 1/2 canine antihistimine per day.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Normally I would suggest a little Benadryl to start with, but since he's already on an antihistamine, I wouldn't suggest giving any more than he currently is.

If there is still Tresaderm in the bottle, I'd suggest you just continue using it until your vet opens on Tuesday. That should help take the edge off the discomfort associated with the ears.

If the bottle is currently empty, then you can add a couple drops of water to the bottle and give it a good shake and then use it in his ears. It's not as powerful as full strength, of course, but it should help a bit.

If you think that the Tresaderm isn't going to do the trick anymore, you could consider having him seen by an emergency vet today. If you're not sure where one is, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Manny. How is everything going?
Lisa