Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a 4 year old neutered male boxer who was very humbled

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old neutered male boxer who was very humbled over and is licking his penis very much. the tip is very res but I don't know if it is bleeding. there was blood a the bed this morning but not where he was laying. when I was looking at him licking it did look like he had some bumps at the base of the penis inside.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not in the dog category any more. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years.

A normal healthy dog does not have a need to lick the penis so there is likely something is going on that needs testing. It may be a urinary tract infection, bladder stones or penial infection. Licking will make it worse because of the bacteria a dog's mouth has. Blood in the urine can be an indication of a UTI or stones. It is suggested you get a hands on exam and maybe drop off a urine sample to the Vet.

this link goes over other health reasons for licking

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/licking-of-genital-area-in-dogs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Beth,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?
Sally G.