Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 9 month old chihuahua has not peed since this

Customer Question

My 9 month old chihuahua has not peed since this afternoon...she is pad trained but goes outside during her walks...she's retreating into her crate more often today too. Hasn't really eaten much or had much water.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has she now passed urine?

If not, how many hours has it been since she last did? Did it look normal?

Is she spayed?

Any change to her appetite ?

Any discomfort if you press on her belly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She still hasn't peed... Is not spayed yet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

So, how many hours has it been since her last urination (as we are not likely in the same time zone)?

Does she seem to be trying to nurse her animals?

Does she have any milk or mammary development?

And does she have any belly tenderness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is not pregnant... She hunches and whines and is licking herself. Dribbled some pee on her walk this morning
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I have to say that I didn't suspect she was pregnant at all. The reason I asked about milk is because hoarding toys can be a sign of a false pregnancy in the unspayed female dog. So, uncharacteristic nesting behavior with toys can hint at this.

Do you mean that she is licking her her vagina or elsewhere?

So, she is dribbling even without actively wanting to go?

Did the urine look normal? Darker, lighter, more odorous or bloody?

Again is she tender if you press on her belly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is licking at her vagina/urethra area... She squatted to pee and only a little bit came out. It looked yellow and does not appear to be bloody. She did not object to me rubbing her belly. It felt soft, but looks a little distended.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I am concerned about the signs Bella is showing. If she is withdrawn, depressed, eating/drinking poorly alongside dribbling urine and licking her vagina frequently, it does raise concerns that we may have a lurking bladder infection here. Other potential options which would be a bit less likely here would be a uterine infection (usually they pass pus or drink excessively), urinary crystals, or bladder stones. And if she has been dribbling and licking, this is likely why you have not seen a normal urine stream from her.

Now if you have every had cystitis, you will know that this is very uncomfortable and can make any animal feel unwell. Therefore, in this case, even if we are not seeing blood, it'd be best to have her checked. This would not be considered an emergency per say, but if she is feeling poorly then it would be something we would want to address urgently. That's because the sooner her vet can start her on treatment, the sooner she will feel like herself.

Still, if there is any delay in having her seen, I would note that you will want to be encouraging her to drink. This will dilute her urine and decrease any burning from altered urine pH and flush out any urinary crystals if present. To do so, offer water, low salt chicken broth or even a bit of lactose free milk. You can also offer wet food since its 35% water. As well, you can give her a few milliliters of aloe vera berry juice from your local grocery or health food store. This can be of benefit in normalizing urine pH and reduce any sting from that.

Overall, your lass is being quite subtle with her signs but she is generally telling us that she feels unwell and that her urinary tract is the likely source of her irritation. Therefore, we'd want to use the above just now but also think about having a check with her vet at this stage. They can examine her, confirm our concerns, and start her on antibiotics +/- dog safe pain relief to soothe her irritation and get her back to passing normal urine for you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ended up at the emergency vet hospital where they did a urinalysis and blood work and diagnosed her with a UTI... She's on antibiotics and doing a little better. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melissa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome & thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that they did just find a bladder infection and that she is responding to treatment. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )