Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Dr. Nimmo, Thank you my question. I have a Maltese, female,

Customer Question

Dr. Nimmo, Thank you for taking my question. I have a Maltese, female, rescue from a puppy mill about five 1/2 years ago. Her teeth were so ba, the vet pulled them but said he could not tell for sure her age, possibly 5 to 7 years. That would make her 10 to 12 or so now. She's always had phobia's. She's afraid of heightsand is afraid to climb steps or stairs. The only shot she is late on is distemper. Recently, the vet told me she has cataracts, but I'd already noticed the cloudy look in her eyes, yet she still opened them big, and they are beautiful. But, for a couple of weeks, she has been squinting. I have a roommate and she has a cat and a puppy, both had/have fleas. We are treating the animals, but my vet told me it will take 3 months for the fleas to leave completely. Angel, my Maltese had never had fleas until this summer, at least not since I adopted her. I was given advise to wash her with Dawn, and I did. A few days later, I saw online that it is toxic, so I will never do th
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much for requesting me,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Very often cataracts or other changes in the lens in the eye are age related but as long as she can get about OK then it is often not too much of a problem as often the disease advances very slowly. However it can also be associated with other diseases such as diabetes but your vet will have considered that.

2. Dawn washing up soap does have a limited effect in terms of flea control but my experience is that as a wash it is very safe indeed, so much so that it is often used for very young puppies and kittens which are too young for conventional flea treatments. I would very much doubt if you would have any problems with using it as wash in an adult dog, this is a very safe product.

3. As far as flea control goes something like Frontline would be good on your pets but it is also important to spray the apartment with a suitable product to kill fleas and flea eggs in the flooring and furniture at the same time otherwise the fleas will just come back. You can get these from your vet or better pet stores.

4. I guess the squinting is your main concern. Sometimes this is caused by the cataracts becoming more advanced but there are also a number of other acute eye diseases which can cause this. It is so difficult to comment on this unless you can get a good look at the eye through an opthalmoscope, so really if the squinting continues you would be best to have your vet take another look.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.