Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 9 year old female English mastiff that has blood in

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old female English mastiff that has blood in her urine. appetite is good, drinks plenty of water , but I have noticed her licking hurt gentle area and butt scooting on the floor.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long has Musa been showing these symptoms?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About a month

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. One of the main causes of blood in the urine in female dogs is urinary tract infections, however one month is a bit long for this sort of diagnosis in my experience, however it remains a possibility. Most cases of simple urinary tract infections in female dogs respond to a course of antibiotics by the way.

2. However in an older large breed dog there would be other possible diagnosis such as stones in the bladder or even bladder cancer which unfortunately does occur in dogs sometimes.

3. I am sorry I cannot suggest any any home remedies which might be effective for Musa, hopefully she is suffering from something minor but your best way forward now is to have a vet check her over and then take it from there ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.