Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Is this real, realtime? I was just searching info, hope to

Customer Question

Is this real, realtime?
I was just searching for some info, hope to help my dogs. The beta dog would not eat his food from his bowl, until the alpha one finishes her meal. The beta dog then eats the leftover of the alpha dog's food...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I saw your question earlier but it looked like another expert was locked on it. If you request a specific expert then your question is locked for that expert but that expert may not be on line at the time so other experts have to wait until the lock expires.

So you want the two dogs to eat from their own bowls at the same time?

Where are the bowls located in conjunction to each other, in other words you say they are far apart but can one dog see the other's dish the way they are located now ?

Do they get the same food? If so what is the food you give? All dry , all wet or both?

Don't worry about when you can back to me to answer my inquiry , even if I am not online at the time, it will come to my email and I will answer you when I am next on line. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Sally. Yes I usually feed them same food at the same time, two meals a day now (from 3 meals a day first 5 months, down to 2 meals). They are 8 months old sibling puppies, a boy and a girl. The food bowl are in the kitchen, about 5 feet apart. They can see each other's bowl. They eat mostly soft food, a company named Just Food For Dogs' chicken with rice, mixed with Royal Canin's select canned food for digestive health (the latter was suggested by the Vet).
Girl Zoe weighs 12 lb, and boy Argo weighs a little over 10 lb. They seem to stop growing after 7 months and Argo even lost weight. I don't know whether it was due to him being submissive of the eating. He would look into his food bowl, then look at his sister, then walk away to the side and not eating. Once Zoe is done eating her food, he then goes over to eat Zoe's leftover if any left. A lot of times, Zoe would start eating from her own bowl a little, then go over to eat Argo's a little then return to eat from her own bowl.
There was only one time, the situation is reverse, where Argo would go on eating first, while Zoe is standing on the sideline, looking and waiting...
I couldn't make sense of what they are thinking. There is rarely any one meal that they both happily eat from their own bowl at the same time without me worrying. I'm just so concerned Argo is losing weight.
Please help!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. Generally females are a bit controlling among dogs. There are a couple of ways you can handle this depending on the time you have.

Remove Argo's dish and feed him in a completely different room so that you are ensured he is eating appropriately for his needs, or you can start training Zoe daily in obedience in small sessions so she begins to see you as above her and Argo. I would be teaching her the leave it command and give that to her each time she makes a move for Argo's dish. I would also put her on the learn to earn program so this further puts you at the top of the heap. One of the things you do in the learn to earn is hand feed the dog it's meal throughout the day, since they eat wet food, that can come off of a spoon rather than in your hand.

I would suggest clicker training as it is a positive method and I will direct you to sites that go over this. Keep in mind you are training to be seen differently, even though you will be training things she may already know, it is the act of performing for you.

In the beginning if the dishes are still in the same spot , Argo will probably not eat on his own for a while, he will not be certain if she will make a fuss, so I would toss something else in his dish as an added extra to entice him. Plain Greek yogurt is good for the digestive system and most dogs love it.

If you are satisfied with my service please don't forget to rate so the company compensates me for my time.

If you have questions please do come back and ask.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Reactions to Actions or Learn to Earn

Copyright Sally G

In some instances with training depending on how well the dog responds to the above training you may also want to incorporate a type of ‘learn to earn’ training as well.

What learn to earn training means is that you are taking charge of their entire life’s wants and needs. No more free food is put down in front of them. Keep the daily dose of food in a closed tin in the area where the dog is fed, call the dog to you and ask him to sit. When he sits, he gets a handful of food. Do this throughout the day using any command that the dog knows and the dog must obey that command in order to get some food.

You will also take control of when the dogs can play. The toys should have been put away before this but if they were not, put all toys away, then when you are ready to play take out a toy and play with the dog, when you decide play is over put the toy away again.

Petting does not come to them just because they nudge you, you decide when this takes place, which means you would call them to you and pet them at your discretion and ask that a command be obeyed . If they nudge to be petted, you ignore that, but you can give the dog a command at any time to obey and reward that behavior with petting. Again you always want to reinforce a behavior you have asked for. So even though you know the dog has nudged you to be petted, you don’t have to totally ignore the dog, in fact this is the perfect opportunity to turn that nudge into a trick or command and praise and reward the dog for that.

Anything your dog takes for granted such as you opening the door to let it out, putting on a leash to go for a walk, allowing it to walk though a door before you, etc. these are all privileges to a dog that come naturally due to the human’s repetitive actions over time but many humans don’t realize this.

So before you go through that door put the dog in a sit or wait and you walk through first then invite the dog to walk through. Again this should be rewarded with praise. Before you put the leash on you ask for a sit stay. Furniture is a no, no for dogs that have aggressive tendencies because it puts them in a higher charge over the others in the home, even children.

Dogs should not just be allowed on the couch without specific invitation if at all. This need to be close and cuddle is more a human thing than a dog thing. Dogs do like to be close to the one they love and respect, but sitting on the floor next to that person will be enough to please them.

This is not to say that no dog should ever be allowed on a couch, it is perfectly fine if you have stable easy going dogs. It is when there are problem dogs in the home that furniture should be off limits to all dogs.

As mentioned above, in most cases dogs have developed habits that some owners allowed and gave in to over time but did not realize it. What might be helpful to the owner is to sit and make a list of all the good things your dog gets for free by an action that you have let the dog do for years. This will help you to turn those free behaviors into commands or tricks that can earn a reward.

When the dog tries that action to get the desired reaction from you, stop and think, did I call the dog over to be petted? Did I tell the dog it is time to go out and that is why he brings the leash? Did I say let’s play so that is why he dropped the ball in my lap? All of those actions got the dog reactions in the past usually in a positive beneficial way to the dog. So now it is time to turn that all around.

Keep in mind that dogs do what works for them and if it stops working they usually stop doing it. So when they growl or snap at you when you reach for that bone, it usually works as the human won't take it. I would never suggest to take anything from a growling dog, merely explaining that this works for the dog so therefore they do it. Using the learn to earn program does not really give them a chance to become possessive.

Dogs that are well balanced within a group to begin with do not really need any of the above things to change; it is your right to spoil a well rounded dog! It is only homes with dogs in it that have social limitations around other dogs that should need the above direction.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Patty,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Argo (Mail) And Zoe (Female). How is everything going?
Sally G.