Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 4 yr old German Shepard has what appears to be a pulled

Customer Question

My 4 yr old German Shepard has what appears to be a pulled muscle in his right hind leg. He is slow to rise and whines with the 1st few steps. His gate when outside is fine but when he attempts to walk up the stairs and applies pressure he will whine, he will let you touch his paw and back but just a slight touch to the outer thigh he will whine. It appears to be a knot. what can I do to relieve his pain?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Aspirin (or the Bufferin) dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily is safe and should be of value for soft tissue injuries or minor joint pain. Acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily is safe but it isn't antiinflammatory and its efficacy is circumspect in dogs. You must avoid ibuprofen or naproxen. Both are toxic to dogs.

Please note that we're mostly concerned about a German Shepherd's hips. Hip dysplasia (poorly formed hips) is the usual finding when this breed is slow to rise and needs time to "warm out" of the pain. Unless the aspirin were helpful and her normalized quickly, his vet will want to X-ray Rocky's hips and caudal portion of his spinal column. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Tracy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?