Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 3 year old male Maltese had what I assume to be a seizure

Customer Question

My 3 year old male Maltese had what I assume to be a seizure a little over a week ago. He had another one last night. Don't know why (triggers) nor what to do. HELP!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long was the seizure? Did he paddle his legs, lose control of his bladder/bowel, or faint?

How was Preston afterwards?

Any history of health issues?

Any access to toxins, plants, medications?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Preston. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It lasted about a minute. No paddling. His extremities were drawn and right. His head waved back and forth. He vomited about a tbs of yellowish saliva.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A timely response would be nice!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello it looks like Doctor B has opted out of the question. It could be that she was called to an emergency. Just so you know, when you request a specific expert as you originally did and that expert is either not online or is no longer in the Dog category, all experts are locked out of that question for a specific time and not allowed to post an answer, unless the customer opens the question for all experts after 3 minutes. As well, experts do come on and go off line through the day.

I am not sure if you still need help with this or not but I am going to supply you with some information and hopefully you can use that to help you.

If you know for a fact that the dog did not get into something that caused the seizure, then the dog may be developing epilepsy. Some dogs with epilepsy only have seizures once every couple of months. If that is the case then usually nothing is done.

However it seems like your little guy has already had two in a short period and that would require vet care and possible medication for life.

I am going to direct you to a site that goes over epilepsy in dogs and it will tell you when it is an emergency , to seek vet help right away.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/idiopathic-epilepsy-in-dogs

Your dog is a Maltese so you should know that they are also prone to white shaker disease. YOu will want your vet to also look into that. The link below goes over that as well.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/white-shaker-syndrome

Again I am sorry that you had to wait and hopefully the links will help you or you have seen your Vet. I am hoping for the best possible outcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I have done much research with respect to white shaker syndrome as well as seizures. It is troubling to me that he never did the paddling that seems to be a constant with respect to seizures. How do I know if it was in fact a seizure?
I will check into the epilepsy site!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

What I would do is take your phone or camcorder and video tape any future episodes. Keep a diary of when it happened as well at take note of what is going on around him at the time. Note time of day, loud noises, bells ringing, etc. Sometimes sounds or light can trigger a seizure. From your description it does sound like one.. IF he is not responsive to you when you call his name then it is more likely a seizure. There are a few components to seizures, some will show fly biting or air licking, others will show a change in behavior. You may want to google videos of seizures to see if you can find a dog that matches what you saw.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is non responsive to calling his name. He has a fixed stare with his head swaying, limbs drawn and tight. I grab him and hold him and talk to him. When he comes out of this state, he appears to be dazed and a little sluggish for a few minutes.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does sound like a seizure.. The best thing you can do is keep him safe from harm by doing just what you are doing Holding him until he comes out of it and calms down

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes after a seizure they become very clingy to you, that is normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if he's clinging to me or me to him. He's not had another episode thus far.
Can you discuss other things about my other Maltese?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I need to pay to call you, I will. I need to know that I will get concrete answers. Not maybe do this or take him to your veterinarian.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I see. There is really no way to give concrete answers when it comes to health because so many things mimic each other.Sometimes blood tests are needed or x rays, ,mylograms etc. This can't be done over a computer or phone. We can only give possible suggestions of what it may be from what the owner describes. We can tell you how to recognize when you need immediate help, what home medication, if any will help a problem, but no one will or should give a diagnosis on line:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. My 1/2 year old, Parker, (Maltese) started walking sideways, head tilted, lack of stability. This started the beginning of July. Took him to the vet. Diagnosed as inflamed ? Something neurological. Prescribed prednisone and phenobarbital. After a week, I saw progress. After the gradual reduction of meds, he seemed 98% normal. No meds. Within the past 4 days we noticed a slight deterioration. The vet said it wasn't white shaker. He has not been exposed to toxins. Input please!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 30 minutes away from a veterinarian. That's why I'm trying to get answers. TIA!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I see. I can understand your frustration. At this point the dog may need seizure medication, this is not something we can do here. There are some things like I stated above that can be done online, but there are things that just cannot and it would be unethical to diagnose a pet over the phone or online. Suggestions of what you may be seeing and what should be done is all anyone here can do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically, take Parker back to the vet. And take Preston to the vet for possible seizures /epilepsy. Therfore, your input renders me useless.
Cancel my subscription ASAP! THANKS