Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My dog has a weird sore/ opening on her back. I can lift the

Customer Question

My dog has a weird sore/ opening on her back. I can lift the hair,and a disgusting wound is underneath that looks like white eggs are in it! My vet is closed till 8am. Debbie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Gracie. I'm also sorry to tell you that the white eggs may be fly larva or possibly maggots if she has an open sore or wound.

Unfortunately, at this time of year, this sort of problem can develop very quickly.

I know this may be pretty disgusting (and it is!), but I have several suggestions as to how you can deal with her issue until you can have her seen. You'll want to wear latex gloves when working with her skin although this may already something that you'd plan on doing.

1. If you have any flea or tick spray, you can use this to kill the larva or maggots.

2. If you don't have any such canine product (or even if you do), then you'll want to gently rinse off the area (an outside hose on gentle spray would be perfect) and remove as much of the larva/eggs/maggots as possible.

3. Since she's a short coated dog, it may not be necessary to trim the hair around the wound although I typically suggest that owners do so by purchasing inexpensive mustache trimmers (available at dollar stores) which are excellent for this job.

4. I'd gently clean the area with dilute Betadine or iodine (to the color of weak tea).

5. I'd then apply a small amount of an over the counter antibiotic ointment but prevent her from licking it off if the wound is located in an area which she can reach.

I hope this helps until you can have her seen by your vet. Deb