Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog is 12 years old. We gave her a pork bone thought it

Customer Question

My dog is 12 years old. We gave her a pork bone thought it would be hard but she was able to eat it. That was Wednesday now yesterday she Thur up and can not poo she makes a funny sounds and only spits out a little liquid. What can we do to help her
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She make a strange noise like its her cry when she tries to go and she has tried about 10 to 12 times today maybe more she started it yesterday late morning
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Precious is having some trouble. I would be happy to help.

This is concerning as there could be a few things going on and it will likely take a hands on exam to know for sure.

When bones are ingested this can result in

* Gastritis

* Perforation of the stomach or intestines

* Intestinal blockage

* Pancreatitis

Considering she is straining to go without producing much stool and has vomited it really is important that we get an x ray to make sure that there is no perforation or blockage. This would be the starting point. Both of these conditions can be fatal in just a few days if left untreated.

If the x ray is clear then we would want to look at blood work to see if the pancreas has been effected. This too can be fatal if left untreated.

What we would hope would be that she has some gastritis which is easily treated with medications and special diet for a few days.

The fact that she started this behavior yesterday and is crying makes me too concerned to recommend any at home treatment. I would hate to tell you to wait and monitor her only to see her get worse or to see you loose her from something that may be treatable.

I know no one comes here to hear go to the vet, my job is to make sure owners have necessary information to make a decision that is in the best interest of the pet. At this point I have to suggest getting her in to the vet now even if that means going to the ER tonight. I really do not think it is safe to wait this out any longer and with a history of vomiting it is not likely that she will be able to keep anything down or that the pumpkin will help at this point. Her age also makes this a more urgent situation.

If you do not know where the local ER vet is I would be happy to help you if you can give me your zip code.

Please keep me posted on how she is doing. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If your questions have been answered please take a few moments to provide a rating so that justanswer is notified that your question has received an answer. This does not prevent you from coming back to this question for follow up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She only vomiting one time does that make a different
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

In all honesty not really. If she was not crying and straining then I would say we could monitor her for a day or so but this has been going on for more then 24 hours and considering her symptoms, age and the fact this is a bone ingestion I really do not feel comfortable waiting on this. I would rather this turn out to be gastritis then wait it out and she gets worse resulting in you potentially loosing her.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I just wanted to check in and see how Precious is doing