Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Stray dog with very hard marble size thing under belly skin

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's a loving, very alert dog. She eats and drinks fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hard lump doesn't seem to bother her. She's not in pain when you touch it
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long have you had her?

Do you know anything about her life before you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was found on a bridge dehydrated and starved on Wednesday. Yesterday on Thursday my friend brought her to me. I've taken care of her since yesterday. I know nothing about her. I do know she wasn't well cared for. Her nails looked like they hadn't been cut in over a year. She was walking funny because of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's a chihuahua
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

That lump to me looks like it could be a umbilical hernia.

Umbilical hernias are caused when there is a tiny hole in the abdominal lining which can cause loops of intestine to slip through. This generally happens near the umbilicus, or 'belly button'.

Small hernias are generally not a problem, however larger ones can cause intestinal strangulation if part of the intestine slips through and gets the blood cut off. Since your new girl is an adult, I don't feel like this is something that you need to rush to the emergency vet for or anything, but I would have your vet take a peek at it when you take her in for a general wellness exam.

Most vets can/do fix hernias when the animal is being spayed/neutered. I spent 2.5 years working at a high volume spay/neuter clinic where we fixed umbilical hernias on kittens as small as 1.5 pounds/8 weeks old and dogs as small as 2 pounds! This is a very, very common repair.

There's more information here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/umbilical-hernia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope this helps!!

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa