Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog is so afaid of every body .most of the time he stay

Customer Question

my dog is so afaid of every body .most of the time he stay under the bed . when even my kids comes over other dogs are in the house.he is 3 yr.old he is so afraid ,he don't stay out side very long at a time.what can I do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about sweet Toby's condition. This is common in some of the smaller breeds and they become afraid of many things which brings out anxiety.

They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get him over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until Oscar realizes that these fears will not hurt him. To do this, first avoid these while making Toby comfortable in his situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, he is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.
Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective.
If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help him past this. Take Toby to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose him to the things he fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when he does something positive. Here is a LINK with more tips.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try her advice about the dap collar , to my vet.thank you

Good for you....I believe, with some time and patience, your sweet Toby will be much happier. Good job!