Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My yorkies vulva is swollen and she just started her period

Customer Question

my yorkies vulva is swollen and she just started her period about 3 days ago
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she keeps licking it and every time we try to stop her from licking herself she growls at us and tries to bite us. I'm just really worried
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is perfectly normal for a dogs vulva to get swollen during the heat cycle. Most dogs will continue to lick the area to help prevent the blood from dripping everywhere. Let me give you some information on the heat cycle. Female Dogs go into heat at any time between 6-12 months usually. The average heat cycle for a dog is approximately 3 weeks but for some dogs it is longer and for others it is shorter.

During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period. Dogs often will be irritable and uncomfortable during the heat cycle and usually do not want people touching them in that area.

The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually a female will lift her tail out of the way. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days. Each dog is different so some evaluation by the owner is necessary. The whole heat period should be approximately 21 days but as stated can be longer or shorter depending on the dog. Here is an excellent website with pictures to illustrate a female in different stages of heat.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

If this is bothering you, you might get her some diapers to wear. Depending on her size, you might use diapers or pull ups cutting a whole for the tail. Now if a tongue or ball shaped piece of tissue should come out of the vulva, then you would want to have her seen by your vet as that could indicate a vaginal prolapse. This can happen but it isn't a common occurrence. So it sounds like she is going through a fairly normal heat cycle.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .