Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 9 year old yellow lab. In the last month he has

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old yellow lab. In the last month he has become sensitive on his back. He does have a dry crusty lesion. Whenever he is touched there he has difficulty walking. He does overcome it within 5 minutes. He is perfectly healthy other than that. No loss of appetite, loves his walks, climbs the stairs etc. It is just when he is touched in that specific area. It has gotten progressively worse in the last week.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. This is definitely something odd and leads me to believe that it may be associated with the spinal cord. There is a lesion that is called a dermoid sinus that can cause a communication before the skin and spinal cord. It is usually something they are born with, but it may not have been noticeable until it opened up. It is most common in Ridgebacks, but you can see it in any breed. If the difficulty walking is more because he is trying to scratch when you touch it, it can still just be related to an allergy or skin infection. If it is more neurologic, I would be concerned about a dermoid sinus. If the lesion is closer to the neck area, syringomyelia is possible. This is more of cyst that forms around the spinal cord. It won't directly cause the skin lesion, but it can form from excessive scratching. This is rare in dogs. It is seen most commonly in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, but it can be seen in other breeds as well. I would have your vet check this out soon. If related to the spinal cord, it can get worse. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.