Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I gave my dog by accident a loratadine extra pill this

Customer Question

I gave my dog by accident a loratadine extra pill this morning
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave my dog a 10 mg loratadine last night and by accident i gave him another one this morning. Ever since I gave the second one, she has been acting a bit sick.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that dogs can safely have up to 15mg every 24 hours. Therefore, this is not a major overdose but mild adverse signs like lethargy, dry mouth, and GI upset (nausea, vomiting, possible diarrhea) would not be unexpected. Therefore, since he is probably going to feel unwell for the next 12 hours (until the first dose leaves his system), we can consider some supportive care to offset that.

To start, you can consider treating him an antacid to reduce his GI upset. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can also plan to offer a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall this is a mild overdose for your lad. Still, it is not a severe one and therefore we'd want to use the above while monitoring him as this passes through his system in the next 12-24 hours.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet