Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is currently on clavamox different urinary

Customer Question

Hell, my dog is currently on clavamox for two different urinary infections. She does fine taking the pill in the morning, but often gets sick after her night time dose. She has also slowed down on eating, sometimes not wanting to eat at all.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years.

This is very normal with dogs on clavamox.The antibiotic actually makes them feel sick and they soon learn to associate the pill with illness as well it is upsetting to the stomach.

How do you give her the first pill of the morning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I give her the pill in a tiny piece of treat. Typically the same way in the evening too. Night time is just when it seems to be tougher on her.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information.What I found to be successful is to get different cans of dog food flavors, and make a small meatball out of it while having the pill stuffed inside. Eventually they do get wise to the flavor/smell of a specific dog food and associate that with feeling sick to their stomach so then you have to switch flavors to a new one.

Also feeding them a little of the food without the pill in the middle also helps as it coats the stomach a bit.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

You may also want to try pill poppers which have a cut out where the pill goes .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help! I'm not sure I can switch up the flavors, she is on a prescribed food...urinary s/o.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

canned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have both dry and canned for her.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

okay, check to see if you have different flavors in the canned. IF not give her just dry food for a meal and the canned as a meatball.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

What you have to try to do is change things up from pill to pill so the dog is enticed to swallow it. Otherwise you will have to pop the pill down the throat http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/nursing-care-for-sick-dogs/how-to-administer-pill-medication-to-your-dog

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice!! Getting her to take the pill is the easy part. She takes it fine, but often gets sick an hour and a half to three hours after taking it. She has also slowed down on eating.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

That is normal for this medication. You may want to give a call to your vet and ask them if there is something else they can give her so she is not feeling so sick all the time. If she vomits each time she gets it then she may actually have an allergy to it. Here is more on Clavamox

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/amoxicillin--clavulanate-clavamox

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buttercup. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thank you for following up with her. She is doing okay, getting better each day. She had a procedure on Friday to flush out her bladder and was pretty out of it for the rest of the day, that was tough to see. She seems to have gotten some of her spunk back, but still won't eat her dog food. I have been giving her boiled chicken breasts, which she loves. She threw up today, which was her first time since Friday. It was all chickeb that hadn't been chewed. My only worry is about her getting nutrition and gaining weight, as she lost weight with the infections.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

This is something that I would bring to your vets attention. If the vomiting is occasional , it would not be to concerning. If she is vomiting daily and losing weight, then it is time to discuss this with your Vet and see if there is anything else going on.