Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 4 year old dog has had soft stools not quite diarehea

Customer Question

My 4 year old dog has had soft stools not quite diarehea for several days. His stomach growls. after eating he lets off the most obnoxious farts.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Hopefully Maxx just has something simple such as a touch of gastroenteritis, this is very common in the dog. But be aware that this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for gastroenteritis { stomach upsets } in the dog, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of teaspoons twice a day is fine for a smaller dog such as Maxx

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Maxx is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his gastroenteritis.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HelloNot any improvement and he has gone off eatingApart from that he is happy and energetic

Hello again,

Thanks for the update, sorry he is not improving. Given the time scale it probably would be as well to have him checked over by your vet just in case there is some undiscovered underlying disease situation going on. Also it is possible that prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be of use.

Regards,

Dr Scott