Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 4 1/2 year old American Foxhound mix, came down with Lyme

Customer Question

Hi Dr. B.
My 4 1/2 year old American Foxhound mix, came down with Lyme Disease this past January. From that it was established that she suffered Acute Renal Failure. We were told that her numbers (creatine was very high, her albumin was very low, I believe if I remember correctly) were very bad. We did Sub Q water, special diet ( when she would eat), did Everything we could for her. Well, she is now doing Amazing! Full of life and energy, however, she has started very recently to leak (urine) when she is sleeping or just laying on the carpet. The past two days has gotten much worse with the incontinence. Any suggestions?
Are the kidneys really finally failing now? We gave her some Proin a few weeks ago ( at vets suggestion) but it seemed to negatively affect her appetite.....we are obviously concerned and heartbroken.....Brian
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi, so glad you contacted me about this as I have chronic lyme myself and treat it in my patients all the time. I am glad she is doing better. Make sure your vet checks her quantitative C6 levels so you always know whether lyme is part of her current problem or not. Idexx labs does this test and it will give your vet a number that they can follow to assess how well your pet is doing with lyme and whether it is coming back....because it can. In fact I do long term pulse therapy with all my lyme (chronic) patients to prevent relapse. As for your question, what you are seeing could be caused by a number of things. She could have estrogen related incontinence or she could have overflow incontinence if her urine is very dilute for some reason. You need to have a CBC,chemistry and lytes, Urinalysis and C6 quantitative done. This will help determine if this is lyme related or not. Be sure to let me know if you need further help as I check my computer each night and will get back to you. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. B.
Thank you so much for your response. We will check those items you noted, immediately. But, could the increased urination, and lack of being able to hold it in when resting and sleeping, mean that her kidney failure is getting much worse?
BTW: She will not eat ANY of the special Kidney food, and only wants protein! We know that is the worst thing for her, but literally that is all she will eat., and we won't let her starve to death.
Is Proin a good med for this condition, or are the kidneys the root problem and there is no cure for renal kidney failure?
Brian
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately, I cannot answer whether this is the renal failure or not without results of diagnostic tests to compare to previous tests. It could be but, it might not be. Your dog needs more testing first. If she will not eat her kidney diet there is a supplement called azodyl that can be given to patients with renal disease that helps to protect their kidneys. I use this all the time in practice and it works nicely especially when patients will not eat kidney diets. But also there are many kidney diets available. There must be at least 5-6 by now so I would recommend trying one of the other ones. Your vet should know about those. I hope this helps you and please let me know if you need further assistance. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need further help. If not, please accept my answer if you are happy with my service. THank you, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr B.We had been giving Chloe Proin for about 3 days over the weekend. Amazingly, it did seem to stop her leaking. Unfortunately it really does seem to affect her appetite. We tried her on Proin a few times now, and each time a similar result. The leaking stops but she also loses her appetite. Is it possible that the urine is backing up into her system and she gets nauseous from that and therefor can not eat? I know that one of the known side effects is lose of appetite. Is there anything else you can suggest trying for the leaking? The bot***** *****ne problem is that we are afraid that her kidneys are getting weaker and we don't know what to do.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Again without getting more diagnostics done there is no way to say whether this is kidney or other.....at any rate Incurin works nicely for leakage without many side effects. So you might want to give that a try.....I don't really care for Proin due to all the side effects. Please let me know if I can help you further. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again. We will try the Incurin ( is it a perscription med)?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is prescription that you can get from your vet. I like it much better than proin. If you are happy with my service please accept my answer. Thank you very much, DRB