Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog's calcium level is 12.2. Should I be concerned?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog's calcium level. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It would help to see all of the blood tests and to know if your dog has any symptoms, such as weight loss, increased thirst, coughing, etc. A single high calcium could be lab error, or could indicate a problem with his kidneys, parathyroid function, and worst case,high blood calcium can sometimes be a marker for cancer.

Sometimes I get a high calcium in a normal dog. Then I just wait, and recheck the calcium level in a couple of weeks. If it is back down to normal, I stop worrying about it.

I always check the anal glands in a dog with a high calcium. It is so easy to do, and high calcium can be a marker for a tumor of an anal gland.

Let me know if he has any symptoms and what other questions you have. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does have a mass near his anal glands. The vet thought it was cancer and it would grow very fast, but it hasn't grown since March 2015.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

This mass could be the cause of the increased calcium. I would do an FNA of the mass (fine needle aspiration) by placing a small needle into the mass to get some cells to examine microscopically. If any cancer cells are seen, this is probably the cause of the high calcium, and the mass should be removed as soon as possible before it spreads to his lungs or lymph nodes.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog doing?