Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My names bev ive a 14 yr old border terrier who is really

Customer Question

Hi my names bev ive a 14 yr old border terrier who is really poorly leaking mucus from her vagina we were seen by vet yesterday who has told me shes needs emegency surgery we dont want to put her through major surgery not at 14 what are our other options shes really poorly xx
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Canine Health. What you are describing is a Pyometra, which is a pus filled Uterus. Normally as The Vet suggested is an emergency spay to remove the Uterus and and treat with high doses of antibiotics. The most effective treatment is the the Spay if she is really bad. The other option would be intervenous Antibiotics or a hormone treatment if the dog can take it( the hormones can cause a uterine rupture), but if too far gone, they may not help. Your best chance at saving her would be to have the spay surgery at this time. I am going to give you a link to read more about this problem: http://www.akcchf.org/canine-health/your-dogs-health/disease-information/pyometra.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/ I would not wait for treatment because this is a deadly situation if left untreated.

Please let e know if you have further concerns. If I have answered your questions please Rate m service positive 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on your girl today and wanted to see how she is doing. Did you opt for surgery?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to see how your girl is doing. Please let me know.

Joan