Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I am wondering why all of a sudden my dog likes to be alone

Customer Question

I am wondering why all of a sudden my dog likes to be alone now. She is 10 yrs old and was always by my side. Now she goes in a bedroom and lays in the corner by herself?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. When dogs start hiding and staying away from their owners it is the only way they have of telling you there is something wrong. This is a very good indication that you need to take her to a vet and have her checked out. I would recommend a senior workup to include senior bloodwork along with xrays of her chest and abdomen. Many diseases that dogs have will not show any outward signs until it is too late. I hope this makes sense. I have to retire for the night because I have surgery early in the am but if you have any questions at all feel free to leave them here and I will get back to you tomorrow night as I check my computer each night. Most Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

It is very possible that she is not feeling well as dogs are very stoic and mask their pain.If it were acute pain, say like you caught her foot in the door, then she would react, but if it is chronic pain then it is likely she will not react outwardly.

Another possibility is that dogs as they age can get canine cognitive dysfunction which is sort of like human dementia. With this you may notice change in behavior. Usually it comes on gradually and owners don't notice it until a dog forgets their potty habits of going outside and start going inside the home.

It might be wise to get her in for a senior visit.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I am checking back in with you. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. I think my credentials are listed but I am a Doctor of Veterinary medicine with 25 years in practice with a diverse background including ER work and general practice. I am also a canine certified rehab therapist with advanced training in pain management. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you. Take care, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any further help. Most Sincerely, DRB