Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My female dog is 4yr olds.. She is a small chiweenie dog..

Customer Question

my female dog is 4yr olds.. She is a small chiweenie dog.. She is fully house broken.. Once in a while she may have a accident. Lately when she goes oyts she may pee once and then 1 minute later pee again.. and now she is stating to have accidents and right in front of us without asking to go out.. No fever no habit changes, no diet or drinking habits changed
Worried
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** thank you for requesting me. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Does she urinate a lot each time or just a little?

Have you noticed an odd color or odor to her urine?

Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is spayed. . If she hadn't been out for a while she can have a nice long pee. And them 2 min later she can pee again not as much.. no specific odor or color change
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I suspect that your dog may have a urinary tract infection brewing. This can cause the change bathroom habits that you're describing.

Urinary tract infections (also known as UTIs) are the number one most common cause for changes in urinary habits in dogs. The infection can be located anywhere in the urinary tract from the bladder to the kidneys and in unneutered male dogs, even in the prostate. Certain medications and underlying health problems such as diabetes or viral infections can also lead to UTIs.

The important thing is to have your pup seen by a vet as soon as possible for evaluation of this issue. Your vet will likely want to run a urinalysis, so if you can catch urine from your dog before going (you can catch it up to 24 hours before your appointment, just keep it in a clean, closed container in your fridge. Do not leave it out of the fridge as that will cause bacteria to grow in the urine and may give you false positives). Hopefully it'll end up being nothing too severe, but early intervention is the key.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Skip,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa