Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We have 109 pund yellow lab mix who is healthy. We were at

Customer Question

Hi there. We have 109 pund yellow lab mix who is healthy. We were at the vet 2 weeks ago and he got a clean bill of health. Last night before bed time he started panting and licking his front paw to the point it is almost raw. I let him outside and he was eating grass so I assume his stomach was upset.
I am making an appt for the vet this evening but wanted to get an idea of what is wrong. I am worried!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning! Thanks for sending in your question - I'm Dr. Sara and I work exclusively with dogs and cats.

In an otherwise healthy dog who suddenly starts showing signs of pain (panting/pacing) and really licking one spot on their foot hard, my first suspicion is that they were bitten or stung by an insect or spider. Bee stings can be terribly painful and I've seen many dogs actually be non weight bearing lame (meaning that they hold up their entire foot and won't walk on it at all) from the pain. This actually happened to my own dog not too long ago - he was doing exactly as you described - panting hard, holding up his foot like it was broken, and licking excessively.

It's great that you'll be able to have him seen today - the vet will do a full physical concentrating on his foot. If they decide on physical that it's likely some sort of sting or allergic reaction, they may recommend treatment with benadryl or an anti-inflammatory to lessen the discomfort.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!I took him to the vet last night and they believe it was a bug bite or some allergic reaction. They gave me an antibiotic for 7 days because he licked the top of his paw almost raw.He is much better now and has stopped licking. I am glad to see that he is not in pain anymore. :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the update - I'm glad to hear that he's feeling better! It's also nice to hear that my thoughts were on target too, haha. If my answer was helpful to you, please don't forget to give me a rating, as this signals to the website to give me a pat on the back :) Thank you so much!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubba. How is everything going?
Doc Sara