Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog barks when someone comes into our house. She calms

Customer Question

My dog barks when someone comes into our house. She calms down after quite some time. What is the best way to stop this behaviour?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

You have several ways of approaching this. One is to get a helper, attach a leash to your girl and start a training process. Have your helper approach the door. When she barks give a short tug to distract her from barking, say "no bark" and had her sit. After a few corrections right in a row, she should stop barking for a second. When she doesn't bark, give her a treat. Make it a hot dog sliver. By the end of a couple of weeks, she should have reduced her barking significantly.

As crazy as this sounds you may wish to teach the dog the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.

http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

You also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar or shock bark collars. They are quite effective at stopping barking. Working on the quiet command usually works the best and you can combine it with the collar and then the collar can be discontinued as the dog then knows the command.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

I'm following up to find out how things are going and to see if my answer was helpful to you. If it was, please take this opportunity to rate me positively.