How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16250
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend's Newfoundland dog ate six apple pie Lara Bars

Customer Question

My friend's Newfoundland dog ate six apple pie Lara Bars while we were out. The second to last ingredient is raisins. Is this cause for alarm?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about Newton’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that me colleagues could not aid you before. Still, I do hope your friend has had Newton to his vet urgently. If they haven't, then hopefully you will see this and press them to do so. Raisins are a major worry for dogs. It is a difficult toxin since there isn't a known dose (so some dogs will get away with situations like this, where others will suffer after just one raisin), but if Newton is unlucky they could cause kidney damage and even failure. Therefore, it is imperative to have him seen. At this point, they'd want his vet to start IV fluids to flush the toxin out, potentially treat with activated charcoal (to bind any toxin left in the GI), and monitor his kidney parameters. Hopefully, he will be one of the lucky dogs but the above would be strongly advisable for any dog that has had raisins.

Please take care and best wishes for Newton,

Dr. B.