Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My friend's Newfoundland dog ate six apple pie Lara Bars

Customer Question

My friend's Newfoundland dog ate six apple pie Lara Bars while we were out. The second to last ingredient is raisins. Is this cause for alarm?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about Newton’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that me colleagues could not aid you before. Still, I do hope your friend has had Newton to his vet urgently. If they haven't, then hopefully you will see this and press them to do so. Raisins are a major worry for dogs. It is a difficult toxin since there isn't a known dose (so some dogs will get away with situations like this, where others will suffer after just one raisin), but if Newton is unlucky they could cause kidney damage and even failure. Therefore, it is imperative to have him seen. At this point, they'd want his vet to start IV fluids to flush the toxin out, potentially treat with activated charcoal (to bind any toxin left in the GI), and monitor his kidney parameters. Hopefully, he will be one of the lucky dogs but the above would be strongly advisable for any dog that has had raisins.

Please take care and best wishes for Newton,

Dr. B.