Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My three Dachshunds are about 1/2 of a can of mixed today.

Customer Question

My three Dachshunds are about 1/2 of a can of mixed nuts today. There were several piles of nut filled vomit on the floor. They all seem happy, feeling fine running and jumping. They ate dinner just fine. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. To be honest if these were my dogs I would not be at all worried in this sort of situation. Nut are not toxic in any way to dogs so all you are likely to see in most cases is some indigestion or perhaps a mild transient bout of gastroenteritis because of the sudden intake of a rich food source. { Dogs have quite weak stomachs }

2. The one exception is macadamia nuts which can cause problems in dogs but these are rarely included in mixed nuts, if you think they were included in the mix then get back to me and I will advise you further. You can read more on this toxin HERE

3. There is nothing special you need do in this sort of situation, just treat your dogs as normal but keep an eye on them. There is a very small chance that rich food can trigger a bout of gastroenteritis in dogs so if any odd symptoms do develop then have the dog concerned checked over by a vet without delay. This however is very unlikely ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Dachshunds are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the nuts ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.