Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My neutered minnie pin spent the week end at my daughter's

Customer Question

My neutered minnie pin spent the week end at my daughter's with her un spayed dog. The end of his penis is now out of the sheath and appears to be engorged. I tried pouring some cold water on it and worked some of it back into the sheath. I can do at home before resorting to the vet? We are on a fixed income but love this little dog. Is there anything else I can do prior to taking him to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Mongo. I am happy to help you this evening. Unfortunately this can happen with dogs and can be troublesome and painful for them. You can absolutely try to handle this at home. You can place an ice pack on this area for a few minutes if he will let you. Then using personal lubricant, coat the tip of the penis, and gently manipulate the prepuce back up over the engorged penis slowly and gently if possible. It may take some gentle manipulation and a few times of ice then lubricant but you should be able to get the prepuce back over the penis. If you are not able to do this after a few attempts then it is best to have him seen by your vet as he may need some sedation and more aggressive treatment.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!