Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog has something like a pile,red and irritating in her

Customer Question

My dog has something like a pile,red and irritating in her viginal and also bleeding every day how do I cure it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Does this look like a piece of tissue coming out of your female, perhaps ball shaped or tongue shaped?

Is she in heat right now?

Is she able to urinate?

I was hoping to get a response back. It sounds like she might have vaginal hyperplasia or uterine prolapse.

During certain phases in a dog’s heat cycle, vaginal tissue may swell and protrude through the vulva and look like a tongue shaped object. This is seen most often in young intact female dogs. The breeds most commonly affected include the Labrador retriever, Chesapeake Bay retriever, boxer, English bulldog, mastiff, German shepherd, St. Bernard, Airedale, springer spaniel, walker hound and Weimaraner.

Symptoms are a protrusion of a round tissue mass from the vulva, Licking of the vulva, painful urination and not allowing breeding. If your dog can still urinate, it is not generally an emergency, but your dog should see the vet as soon as possible. If your dog can not urinate, then it needs to see the Vet immediately. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/uterine-prolapse-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.