Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

The dog got soap in s eye during s bath. He's been

Customer Question

The dog got soap in his eye during his bath. He's been scratching and squinting. He woke up and the eye was shut.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr.B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

When did this happen?

Does the eye ball look red or cloudy/hazy?

Is any part of the eyeball looking less shiny then the rest?

What color was the mucus?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened last night during his bath. His eyeball isn't red or cloudy. There's red irritation inside his eyelid. The mucous was cream colored. I gently wiped it off with warm water. His eye is open now and looks better. I put a cone on him so he would stop scratching and rubbing
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I would note that your first aid has been very good here. Still it is important to appreciate that if the eye is still irritated, we need to do more. So, while soap tends not to be overly dangerous, it can cause corneal ulcers and erosion to the eye. And this can open the door to secondary bacterial infections of the affected eye.

Therefore, I would suggest flushing the eye again for at least 10-15 minutes with cool water. This will just ensure any lingering soap has been removed. Afterwards, it'd be worth flushing it for a short bursts a few times daily with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). This will flush out any bacteria and reduce the risk of secondary infection (which is a concern with creamy eye mucus). Afterwards, to soothe these sore eyes, you can also apply OTC artificial tears (ie Viscotears, Lacrilube, etc). Just make sure when choose artificial tears, avoid those that are advertised to “take the red out” since these tend to cause issue for dog’s eyes. But with those aside, artificial tears can be used as needed to reduce irritation.

Finally, if you use the above along with the e-collar over the next 12-24 hours and he isn't settling, then we will want a check with Jameson's vet when they are open. They can stain the eye to just make sure there are no superficial changes to the cornea from the soap +/- dispense dog specific antibiotic drops to clear that discharge and settle this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll do all of that. I'm sitting with the dog in natural light right now and the eye is a little cloudy. Do you suggest I still flush it and see how it progresses from there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If we are seeing a bit of haze, then we do have to be wary since that is a sign that the cornea is inflamed. Still, I would advise the above while keeping a close eye on that. If he settles, then we can just monitor. But if the haze gets any more visible/prominent, then we'd want to have the eye stained/checked for ulcers.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jameson. How is everything going?
nekovet