Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 13 yr old Yorkie who all of a sudden is peeing very

Customer Question

I have a 13 yr old Yorkie who all of a sudden is peeing very small amount every few minutes and the smell is horrible. I can't take her out enough it doesn't matter she pees every 5 minutes
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Maggie. I am Rebecca, I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

What you describe is most likely a bladder or urinary tract infection (UTI). The urine has a bad smell from the bacteria, and the frequent urination is also typical: the bladder is painful, so as soon as there is even a small amount of urine in the bladder, she feels the need to empty it.

These usually clear up with a course of antibiotics, but you want to be sure she is taking them long enough to clear the entire infection, so I recommend doing a urinalysis before stopping the antibiotics.

Since antibiotics are a prescription medication, you will have to get them from your veterinarian; only a veterinarian who has a "client patient relationship" with you (has seen and examined Maggie) can write you a prescription or sell you a prescription medication.

Cranberry, and D Mannose are supplements that can help clear infection, but not by themselves; usually you would need antibiotics as well. I would get her started as soon as possible; occasionally a bladder infection turns into a kidney infection, and that can be much more serious.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.