Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Our 3 year old mini schnauzer has a very warm head and is

Customer Question

Our 3 year old mini schnauzer has a very warm head and is panting a lot, especially at night and in the morning.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** *****

A warm head is not necessarily a sign of a fever. It is best to take the core temperature rectally to determine fever. Normal is between 100.5 and 102.5 . Anything near 103.5 you should seek vet care.To start to bring down a fever lay cool damp towels over the abdomen or foot pads. Rubbing alcohol also is used on the foot pads to reduce fever.

Panting can be a sign that the dog is just hot or in pain. At this point since you do not mention any other symptoms it would be best to take Schatzi Rose's vital signs so you know if it is an emergency or you can wait a bit to visit your Vet.

I am going to direct you to a site that goes over how to take vital signs and when it is an emergency to help you determine Vet need.

IF other symptoms show up , vomiting , diarrhea, fever, of course see your vet as soon as possible.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/nursing-care-for-sick-dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs-heart-rate-breathing-rate-and-temperature

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. She has gained 3 pounds over the last couple of years and we are trying to restrict her diet to get her back to 15 pounds. She didn't start these symptoms until about 2 months ago. We do live in Phoenix, AZ and take her for a walk twice a day, but she loves that and we wait until its as cool as possible. I will take her temperature and go from there. I started freaking out thinking she had a brain tumor!!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Aw, I understand, it is hard because they cannot tell us what is wrong. Try not to think the worst. Take the vitals and go forward from there:)