Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog had tight stomach last night and wouldn't lay down

Customer Question

My dog had tight stomach last night and wouldn't lay down until about 6 this morning. His stomach is not as tight now but he still doesn't lie down, more comfortable sitting up. Won't eat...
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't give you my email. How do you notify me when you have an answer?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It does appear that Brother Roe has a digestie disturbance of some kind. If he appears bloated , this can be very serious and you should get him to your vet right away. A gastric Torsion could be fatal if left untreated. For now, give your guy a Gas X to see if that will reduce this discomfort. This can be purchased at the pharmacy. If there is still no response, allow him to rest without offering food. There is a chance that this discomfort could also be caused by an unstable disc in his back and this will require treatment by your vet. It is hard to know if this is a disc issue or digestive which is why, if he does not show any response , don't wait to have your vet check him.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He sneezes and pants hard. Is that associated with pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be a urinary tract infection?

Panting can be associated with pain and in Brother Roe's situation, this does appear to be the case. This is not a UTI since he is not having any trouble urinating or straining to urinate. Like I said, I would worry about a digestive disturbance or an unstable disc causing him pain...these will both show similar symptoms and without testing, it is hard to know what is causing this....It is best to be safe nad have your vet check him today if possible.

Hi Benita,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Brother Roe. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was diagnosed with inflamed prostates. On antibiotic and pain medicine. Been a long weekend. Thanks for your advise and help. Am a fan of Just Answer now.

This is not surprising for Brother Roe....I am so happy that the cause has been found and treatment will resolve this. Have a great day!!