Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog was nuetuerd several years ago it looks like they

Customer Question

My dog was nuetuerd several years ago it looks like they grew back swollen he is not in pain but he licks them
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about Apollo. I'm not set up to field a call at this time, but can help by these means. Can you possibly take a photo of what it looks like and post it here? How long has he been licking the scrotum? Is he licking elsewhere too? How often is he licking the scrotum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has allergies all the time. He is red nose pit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been licking for a few weeks. I started giving him benadryl
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Has the Benadryl helped with the licking? How long has the scrotum been swollen? Does it seem painful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For a few weeks they don't seem to be painful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little he scratches all the tim
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Where is he scratching at the most? That is good that the scrotum isn't painful. Is there any black specs on the skin by his tail head region? Is he on any flea control?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing black. I gave him some flea harts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that's when he really started scratching
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Do you feel that there are any changes to his skin in the areas he's scratching? Are there any sores present?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No where else but in the scrotum area
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes the scrotum can swell up in the initial time frame after a neuter as there is the accumulation of fluid or blood in that space voided by the testicles. This far out, that shouldn't be the case. With all the licking that he's doing, it would be suspicious that there could be some inflammation inside the skin that is causing it to swell up / be more prominent. Sometimes they can have secondary bacterial skin infections that make the issue more of a problem. With his history of allergies, could this all be tied into that? Sometimes allergies can really flare up. Could there be something else causing the scrotum to appear this way? You have already tried the Benadryl at home and had some marginal response. At this point, it would seem best if your vet was brought into the picture. They can visually inspect this area and him all over to see what is going on and then start up treatment. They can make sure fleas or other skin parasites aren't an issue here. They can see if a skin infection with bacteria or yeast may be present that needs to be directly treated. More than likely a stronger medication like a steroid may be considered to help quell the licking. Could he benefit from an E-collar to stop him from physically getting to the area? An owner could try this at home for a couple days to see what response this had on the situation. Overall, my suspicion goes towards his allergies as the heart of this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it's cancer
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

While cancer can't be ruled out, it would be very, very low on the rule out list. If he hadn't been neutered and this area suddenly enlarges; then it would be more concerning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took him to the doctor on Saturday. They took a sample. There is a 50/50 chance he has cancer because of the lumps under the stomach area. He doesn't act sick. I am really scared.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Are these lumps on the stomach region? I was picturing based on your description that it was his scrotum that was swollen. I'm glad you got him evaluated and further testing is underway. I'm hoping for the best at this time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't see them either. The doctor felt them.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

So they found something else of concern. What did they feel was going on with the enlarged scrotum?